The Pre-Admission Clinic provides you with an opportunity to prepare for your hospital stay.
You may be asked to attend the clinic for an assessment of your health. This will help staff arrange any investigations or specialist referrals.
You will also be able to raise any questions or discuss concerns about your stay or your care after you go home.
The information you provide at the clinic will be filed in your hospital record and ready for when you are admitted.
As this is an extensive assessment of your needs and may include a number of tests, the appointment will take up to 2 hours. If you are booked for joint replacement surgery, your appointment could take up to 4 hours.
Admission information for elective surgery
A staff member will contact you after 3pm on the day before your admission to advise you of the time you need to be at hospital.
We request that you:
- do not wear make-up, nail polish or jewellery
- bring only enough money for your immediate requirements
- bring any x-rays you may have
- bring your Medicare card plus any pension/healthcare or DVA cards.
If you are being admitted to the Day Procedure Unit:
- Wear loose fitting clothes that are easy to change. You do not need to bring night attire.
- Arrange for someone to take you home. You will also be required to arrange for an adult to stay with you the night after your procedure.
If you are being admitted for an overnight stay:
- Bring all the medications you are currently taking. This may include eye drops, creams, inhalers, prescription medications and any herbal or alternative medicines. Any current medication lists that you have been given should also be brought with you.
- Nominate the name and contact phone number of the person who will be taking you home. Please note the discharge time is 10am.
- For your own safety and that of others, we strongly recommend you do not drink alcoholic beverages, drive any vehicle, operate machinery or make any important decisions for at least 24 hours after your procedure.
- If you are unsure of what to do before your procedure or would like further information regarding your hospital admission contact the Patient Services Unit on 5173 8025.