Our Pharmacy Department dispenses medication to patients at the hospital and people who are outpatients. It also provides comprehensive education about medication to staff and patients.
Key services include:
- Medication – provided to patients on discharge, to Hospital in the Home patients and to people who attend the Emergency Department. Medication charts are provided for patients with more complex courses of treatment.
- Oncology service – LRH is the main hospital in Gippsland for the treatment of people with cancer and an extensive oncology service is provided by our pharmacy.
- Psychiatric pharmacy – provided to LRH Community Mental Health Services across Gippsland. A pharmacist visits each of the services to educate clients, carers and staff about psychiatric medications. The pharmacist also has an important role in the monitoring of clients who are prescribed certain psychiatric medications.
- Clinical pharmacy – education and training is provided to staff on all wards. Activities include medication history, drug therapy monitoring, medication order review, adverse drug reaction management and prevention, therapeutic drug monitoring and assessment and management of drug interactions.
- Education – Pharmacists provide education in the hospital to staff and patients and support to patient groups such as cardiac rehabilitation, dementia care and the respiratory diseases support group. The pharmacy also provides a comprehensive training program for medical students and pre-registrants.
- Sterile manufacturing – includes the preparation of total parenteral nutrition (TPN), a limited range of injectables and infusions including iron infusions and monoclonal antibody preparations.
- Regional pharmacy service – supplying all medications to Gippsland Southern Health Service at Leongatha and Korumburra and Maryvale Private Hospital in Morwell.