If you have diabetes and are admitted to Latrobe Regional Hospital, you will be seen by a diabetes educator to help you develop a treatment management plan.
The educators are registered nurses who have specialist training in managing people with diabetes.
They will also assist people who display symptoms of diabetes as well as women who are pregnant and have diabetes.
If you are diagnosed with diabetes while you are a patient at the hospital, you will undergo a consultation with an educator before being referred to a community health service for further care.
The hospital does not have a diabetes outpatient service.
The role of Diabetes Education
- assessment of the management of patients with Diabetes Mellitus
- education of patients and families
- care of women with diabetes in pregnancy
- care of children with diabetes
- acceptance of endocrinology and physician referrals
- education of nursing and medical staff
- liaison with other health care professionals within the hospital and the community
- discharge planning
For further information about diabetes education at Latrobe Regional Hospital, phone 5173 8000.